I worked with a team of 3 designers to create a set of euchre cards and instructions aimed at both concrete and reflective learners. Our target audience was 25–35 year olds who play games with friends at least once a month. Our goal was to creating an enjoyable learning experience with instructions that enhanced retention in an easy to navigate first time experience.

Below is the process from ideation to a final product.

Our first step was to come up with 10+ concepts for ways Euchre could be taught. Our 4th and 5th ideas, as well as our 6th idea, a product that would teach 4 people to play Euchre, ended up being a large part of our final product.

From there each of us sketched how some of those concept might become physical products, these were a few of my sketches. 

We decided some sort of packaging with an instruction booklet would make the most sense, as it is convenient option to the user. However, we wanted to think beyond conventional means of step by step instructions, so we continued sketching ways our product could function. 

These are some our refined sketches for our packaging with instructions idea.

We created physical versions of our ideas to see what functioned best as an interactive item.

We decided to split the instructions into 4 parts. This allowed each player to have a set of instructions to learn and teach the others. This highlighted our intent of teaching people (specifically abstract and reflective learners) as being able to process information and teach it to others has been proven to enhance retention. Because a Euchre deck contains only 24 cards, we thought booklets that folded to the size of the cards would best fit into the package. These sketches show potential layouts of our instruction booklets.


We split up the work into 3 parts, I designed the booklets, while my others on my team worked on the packaging and cards. Our main struggle at this point was how to split up the instructions in a way that made sense to each player, not just the first player. At this point, I only focused on creating a grid, and what needed to be included on a practical level. The lines on the lower set were included as a visual representation to connecting ideas together.


I reworked the designs focusing on creating a sleek visual appeal. I looked at various typefaces, and how they affected the designs.

We decided on brand standards. We applied the grid, and lines from the instructions onto the cards and packaging.


Final cards

Final instructions

Final instructions

Final Product